Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:02:12 +0100
From:      "Casper Andersen" <caspera@sophistic.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   compaq presario won't load kernel after installation

Hey people

I have come across an odd problem with a Compaq Presario I'm installing for
a friend. Having searched through the web and mailing lists all I have found
is others with the same problem unsolved, you guys are my last resort.

I'm booting from the latest freebsd stable floppies (2001.01.27) and doing a
normal ftp install. Everything is going fine, until.. the system reboots
after install. I installed the boot manager and FreeBSD is the only install.

Problem..
The system fails to load the kernel. Telling me it can't locate the kernel
on the drive. Sort of like it can't access the drive at all or a fucked up
file system, what do I know.
It says..
BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/80896kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(root@usw3.freebsd.org, Fri Jan 26 12:52:32 GMT 2001)
Warning: syntax error on file /boot/loader.conf
EαPΦX►
 ^

Unable to load kernel:
Aborted!
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately,  or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok _

Notes..
I tested it with win98 and the system is fine. The friend also told me he
had similar problems with slackware, which forced him to do RedHat on it,
which worked fine.

Hope someone out there got a clue, as I'm reaching..

Best regards
Casper Andersen