Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 13:54:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openssh question

On 6 Mar 2000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> > Now that openssh is in the base system, I assume it will no longer
> > be in the ports.
>
> I expect the port to be maintained for the remaining lifetime of
> the 3.x branch. This is of no concern to 4.x users, of course.

Correct. We should probably mark the port BROKEN for 4.x and ask people to
install the system version, which will likely be better supported. e.g. we
don't support Perl5 in ports any more, either.

> > How do we update it, ie, when a updated version comes out.
>
> OpenSSH doesn't really have releases. The upstream version is
> straight out of the OpenBSD repository. I assume several of our
> developers monitor the OpenBSD commits and will carry over any
> changes.

Right. Whenever something significant changes in the "upstream" version
we'll update ours too. If you keep an eye on the commit messages you'll
know when you might want to rebuild it, if you want to aggressively track
OpenSSH but not track make world.

> > I would rather not make world just to update that.
>
> How do you handle updates to any other part of the system? Why do
> you consider openssh a special case?
>
> You can usually update individual parts of FreeBSD without doing
> a "make world". cd /usr/src/... && make -jX install && make clean.

Yep. In the case of SSH you might also need to rebuild secure/lib/libssh
as well as secure/usr.bin/<foo>. Write a little script to do it if you
like :-)

Kris

----