Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:05:32 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013227533.97359a@mired.org>
To:        <andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1013144385.29174d@mired.org>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>, "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "Wilko Bulte" <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, "Paul Fardy" <pdfardy@mac.com>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Junior Annoying Hacker Task

[Context lost to top posting.]

Andrew Cowan <andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au> types:

> How about editing the rc.conf file from the proposed virc program, that
> would then re-generate the rc.conf file upon saving.  Of course the virc
> would store the underlying configuration in an xml config file..   That
> should make Kutulu very happy  :)

I think it should be called viconf, as it should work on rc.conf,
make.conf, periodic.conf, and any other .conf files we want.

> <I would like to remind viewers that I am just kidding>

I didn't take you seriously, except about the name.

> However, I have previously thought that a system that used xml files to
> store application configs (that would then be used to generate valid conf
> files) would be useful.  It would allow gui tools to be easily designed for
> system administration.

I don't see how it would make it any easier than using flat text
files, unless you're planning on providing a DTD and using generic XML
gui editors. Putting data in XML doesn't automatically imbue it with
anything, except the ability to use generic XML tools on it. Of
course, given line-seperated records with a unique field separator,
you can use generic tools on those just as well.

	<mike