Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 01:36:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Design a journalled file system

John Baldwin wrote:

> 4. You can't sell any improvements you make (since anyone will
>    be able to just download them, so why would they bother paying
>    for it), so all your programmers become deadweight as they
>    are not earning any income.
>    Solution?  Fire all the deadwood (i.e. the non-incoome
>    generating programmers.)
>
> Yeah, this is a business model that I as a programmer _really_
> want to promote because, hey, food will just magically appear
> on my table because people will provide it for me out of the
> goodness of their hearts in appreciation for my code.

The fact that IBM has released the present JFS code under the GNU GPL
doesn't obligate it to release future in-house improvements under the same
license, unless they depend on changes that someone else contributed under
GPL.  Even then, IBM and the author of the changes can make an arrangement
(perhaps involving cash or food) where the changes get released under
whatever license IBM and the author agree to--that is, unless those
changes incorporate someone else's GPLed work (and so on until someone
says "no").

Ghostscript is under a scheme like this (explained at
http://www.ghostscript.com/pages/versions.html).
--
Trevor Johnson
http://jpj.net/~trevor/gpgkey.txt