Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:55:58 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Nick Hale <nick.hale@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Shuttle SD37P2 V2 ACPI - FreeBSD 5.5-REL-p7

On Thursday 20 December 2007 08:26:44 pm Nick Hale wrote:
> I have a Shuttle SD37P2 V2 system sitting here (runs the Intel 975 express
chipset) and
> when trying to boot to FreeBSD 5.5-REL-p4 through -p7 (unknown if it did it
before p4) I
> have to force it to boot with ACPI disabled else it locks immediately after
detecting the
> primary HDD in the system.  Due to the fact that it locks up, I'm unable to
send the dmesg
> output from a working ACPI boot.  I can, however, give you everything else
on the list.
> The acpidump -dt output can be found here:
>
> http://www.n0rse.com/nick/harm-falcon.asl
>

> sysctl hw.acpi is an unknown oid currently on the system.
>
> dmesg ouput can be found here:
>
> http://www.n0rse.com/nick/harm-falcon.dmesg
>
> I've tried updating and rebuilding just to make sure I have a build that was
generated on
> this box, but no luck.  I've let the machine sit for approximately 48 hours
to see if it
> was just a delay in detecting anything but this also proved to not be the
case.  It is
> still locked at the same spot and I had to hard reboot and force ACPI to be
disabled.
> This is a non-production box so I am willing to try patches and such on it
so long as I
> don't have to reinstall (ie: I can at least boot to an old kernel or to a
different kernel
> and try again).
>
> As I said, the system is a Shuttle SD37P2v2 barebones running on an Intel
955D (3.46
> Extreme Edition) processor with 1GB of DDR2 memory with a 40G IDE drive
sitting in it.  I
> *can* mirror the 40G partition to a SATA drive and boot that, but so far it
has yet to
> actually fix anything.  Any advice or guidance is more than welcome and I am
willing to
> attempt to track this down.  Please include me in the reply as I am not
currently
> subscribed to any of the FreeBSD mailing lists (this one included).
>
> Thank you!
>
> Regards,
> Nick Hale
> nick.hale@gmail.com

You would need to capture the dmesg (via serial console if the box has a COM
port perhaps) from the ACPI boot to track this down.  I would try using 6.x
though as it is may be a PCI interrupt issue and a lot of that code has
changed in 6.x and will not be backported to 5.x (too disruptive).

--
John Baldwin