Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 12:58:44 -0400
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Character major number request: loopback ethernet

Hi!

Should I have sent this request to -current instead of -hackers ?

I would like to get the character major number for loopback
pseudo-Ethernet driver. This is intended to be used as interface
for network access from pcemu (and may be from other emulators
also in future). The current driver name is "loe".

This driver has two access methods, network and character. The first
one is for access from FreeBSD, the second one for emulators.

The device is configured like

  pseudo-device loe 4

that brings up network interfaces loe[0-3] and character devices
/dev/loe[0-3]. All of them are connected to the same virtual Ethernet
bus. Each logical interface can be configured in FreeBSD or
used as interface for pcemu (one pcemu for one interface, so
in the example above one interface must be configured in FreeBSD
for routing and 3 interfaces can be used to run 3 copies of pcemu
with network access simultaneously).

-Serge