Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 22:32:50 -0400
From:      "Jim McGrath" <jimmcgra@bellatlantic.net>
To:        "Andrew Gallatin" <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        "Bosko Milekic" <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: mbuf external buffer reference counters

> Julian Elischer writes:
>  >
>  > Te stuff under consideration originally came from OSF/1 which became
>  > true-64
>  >
>  > that was heavily SMP
>  > can anyone find out what they did?
>
> From looking at a Tru64 5.1 header file, it looks like they do per-ext
> locking and declare an MBUF_EXT_LOCK(m) macro.  It is not clear how
> one is supposed to use this & it appears to be undocumented.  Tru64
> also has a global mbuf lock.  Tru64 4.x does not appear to have the
> MBUF_EXT_LOCK (so I think it uses just the global MBUF_LOCK for all
> mbuf manipulations; and I'll bet that just does a 'splimp' on UP
> systems).

When I was at Hitachi in Watltham, MA. we did a port of OSF/1 to Hitachi's
SR8000 Super.  http://www.hitachi-eu.com/hel/hpcc/ It is based on a 64 bit
implementation of the Power PC.  My only involvement was with the Large File
System. and I really don't remember how cluster bufs ref count was
implemented.  Most of the people who may have been involved are at Egenera,
with the code somewhere at Hitachi in Japan.  If you have any contact at
either place, you might check with them.

Jim