Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2006 01:12:58 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "Craig Ryhorchuk" <trashcanaccount@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: AFS in FreeBSD 5.4 or 6

At 1:31 AM -0800 3/4/06, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>openafs has a compiled binary for FreeBSD 6.0 on their website,
>have either of you even tried it, or are you going to just write
>it off without even seeing it it works at all?

I have not tried it, since the openafs mailing list had some
talk of the latest (CVS) snapshots of OpenAFS not working on
FreeBSD 6.1.  I thought that meant OpenAFS was broken due to
changes in FreeBSD, which has certainly happened in the past.
But in re-reading those messages, it looks like the problem
might have been specific to OpenAFS on FreeBSD/amd64.

Since I am not running on AMD64 (yet...), I should take another
look at the recent snapshots of OpenAFS on FreeBSD.  I have
been focused on the upcoming 1.4.1 release of OpenAFS, since
that will include support for MacOS 10.4 (Tiger).  The web
pages for those release-candidates only have binary packages
for MacOS 10 and Windows, and I must admit I didn't try them
on FreeBSD.  Thanks for prodding me along to take another
look at this.

(now I just have to find the time to do it...)