Date:      Thu, 01 Aug 1996 20:59:08 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@Nuxi.cs.ucdavis.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sample Makefile

> That's why I asked at the beginning if this was the direction.  I was
> writing a Makefile for a human to read.  You're asking for a machine
> driven one, essentially useless for a human (one that doesn't know how to
> write a ports Makefile from the beginning anyways).  It should be obvious
> that I wasn't pointing towards that.

Yes, it was, and I wasn't really sure whether or not the human
Makefile would work as a concept until I saw the size of yours.  The
sheer amount of reading one would have to do in order to use it in the
full construction of a port is rather self-defeating if you're trying
to make the process quicker and less knowledge intensive.

> the idea of someone else doing that, but my own opinion is that such a
> thing would too radically limit what you could get done in adapting the
> software of some _not under your control_ to a FreeBSD environment.  I

Huh?  The ports collection is *all about* adapting software not under
your control to a FreeBSD environment! ;-)

					Jordan