Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 22:32:33 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, S0ren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiscreen, Bell & Talk

=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
> Imagine you work at multiscreen console and someone tries to talk you.
> And talk requests comes to another (not current) screen, so you may
> even never notice them. Another variant: ncftp2 produce bell
> when (long) file transfer is done, since you never hear it from
> another screen, you forced to check it often.

This irritates me too.

> I have syscons patch wich delivers all bells to current screen
> independently of screen they originally comes. It really helps
> in situation like this. I saw several multiscreen
> implementations which do the same thing, f.e. 'screen' program
> notice you when bell comes to another screen.

Is there some kind of "code" that could be used? The tone changes if
it comes froma different console. I often have biff set on my master
console, and it would be nice to know that something else has
happened, apart from incoming mail...

> If no objection comes, I plan to commit the patch.

Yes, please!

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key