Date:      	Tue, 19 Nov 1996 17:57:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chris Coleman <root@bb.cc.wa.us>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipx to ip routing

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I work at a local community college.  We have two FreeBSD boxes running
> all of the internet services.
>
> My question is: Does Freebsd support ipx to ip routing.  I know that BSDi
> does. (And they want $6,000 for their system because of it.)
>
> Do we have any plans for implementing it?

  You can't route between IP and IPX.  They are incompatible.  You can
can however tunnel IPX across an IP network.

> We need it to solve two problems.  number one, we are running out of ip
> addresses on campus.  We want to eliminate most of them and make them use
> ipx routed through a FBSD box to communicate through the internet.

  This would involve a proxy-type service (ex. Catapult for NT; see
ftp.microsoft.com).

> And we want to eliminate the need for so many ip addresses so that we
> can get rid of all the ip address conflicts that we can't seem to trace
> down.
>
> Any one have a good method of finding an ip address conflict?

  Force people to use DHCP.  It isn't perfect, but better than letting a
bunch of newbies configure their own systems.

  A proxy like cached or squid, which both work under FreeBSD could also
solve your address shortage problem.  The entire 10.x.x.x block has been
reserved for non-connected sites, and these addresses could be given to
given to internal campus machines.  Proxy servers like cached can also
reduce Internet traffic, and speed access to common pages.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Chris Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
> Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
> Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
> Death is life's way of telling you you're fired.

Tom