Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 18:15:06 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        davec@unforgettable.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/12226: IPFilter breaking with ipl ERROR

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 06:28:20PM -0400, davec@unforgettable.com wrote:
> >Synopsis:       In 4.0-current the ipl driver breaks with "bogus cdevsw->d_maj = -1
> >Environment:
>
>         FreeBSD 4.0-Current as of June 15, 1999
>         Pentium233MMX, 128MB SDRAM, two UDMA2 HD's, one IDE HD.
>         PA-2007 motherboard, Matrox MillenniumII vid.  3COM905-TX NIC.
>         Kernel compiled with IPFILTER, IPFILTER_LOG, and bpfilter.
>            Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xc030e000.
>            Intel Pentium detected, installing workaround for F00F bug
>            ipl: ERROR: driver has bogus cdevsw->d_maj = -1
>
>         For every rule ipf tries to process, the following error was produced:
>
>            open device: Device not configured
>            ioctl(SIOCIPFFL): Bad file descriptor

I've seen this since at least as early as June 3rd. Haven't said anything
because I've not had time to see if there was already a fix, or at least
the topic had been brought up.

Maybe we're doing something wrong; ipf + ipnat not working at all sounds
like something that'd get noticed real quick. Oh yeah, ipnat:

# ipnat -l
/dev/ipnat: open: Device not configured
# grep IPFILTER /sys/i386/conf/LIMBO
options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG

Same error message as the author of the send-pr above reports. Any ideas?

--
Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    public posts are mine, not FCC's.