Date:      Sun, 09 May 2010 13:37:34 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Nathan BIAGINI <nathan.open@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: high cpu temp and fan speed problem

Nathan BIAGINI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i bought a hp pavilion dv6-1123ef laptop and i've installed FreeBSD 8.0 on
> it. Everything work except one think : i can't do high-cpu task. The problem
> is when i run a high-cpu task (no very high in fact), my cpu temperature can
> increase to 90°C and when it's the case, system go down. Further, i heard
> the fans are running. When i work on windows (short time), i never had this
> kind of problem so i think is may be a kernel config problem.
>
> I precise that when i want to run mbmon to minitor cpu temp and fan speed
> (compiled form the ports), it return an unknow error like what no hardware
> monitor is found, the cause of my problem?
>
> Thanks for helping.

> PS : sorry if i'm not really clear but english isn't my native language.

All understandable, except 2nd para. needs:   s/I precise/I presume/	:-)

Others know power better than me, but here's a first answer,
mouse copied from my laptop, to search for keyword to read manuals for,
while you wait for better answers :-)

man powerd	# try powerd -v
sysctl -a | grep acpi
man acpi

My /boot/loader.conf	# man loader.conf
	acpi_toshiba_load="YES"
	# apm_load="YES"
	boot_verbose="yes"            # Collect more info to later tune
	debug.bootverbose="1"         # Variable shown by sysctl -a.
	# one of those 2 verbose is old syntax I think

My /etc/rc.conf	# See also /etc/defaults/rc.conf
	# apm_enable="NO"       # Set to YES to enable APM BIOS functions (or NO).
	# apmd_enable="NO"      # Run apmd to handle APM event from userland.
	# apmd_flags=""         # Flags to apmd (if enabled).

	powerd_enable="YES"      # /etc/defaults/rc.conf = "NO"
	powerd_flags="-a hiadaptive -b adaptive -n adaptive"
	#       -a maximum # too hot underneath, & USB2 cardbus might cook.
	#       -b minimum      # just for max life if editing & not processing
	# man powerd: Default adaptive for battery and hiadaptive for the rest.
	# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq         # shows 300 to 1900
	case $hostname in       #{
		homehostname)
	   powerd_flags="-a adaptive -b minimum  -n minimum"  # Less Heat
			;
		no_net_hostname)
	   # powerd_flags="-a maximum  -b adaptive -n adaptive" # More Perf
	                  powerd_flags="-a adaptive -b minimum  -n minimum"  # Less Heat
	                # powerd I may be at a lake. No power.
			;
	esac    # }

Cheers,