Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:39:00 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Change process from foreground to background?

On 2001-11-17 01:23:45, Christopher Farley wrote:
> I'm sitting at my workstation and I ssh into server 1 and start running
> a long dump, expected to take 3 hours.
>
> About 30 minutes into the dump, I decide I want to install a new SCSI
> card in my workstation, and would like to shutdown the computer. Doing
> so would kill my dump operation, however.

You can install on the remote machine `screen'.  Then once you ssh to
it you fire up a screen session, and in that screen session, run the
dump or any other long-running process.  When you want to leave the
remote machine and have dump run in the `background', you detach from
the screen with `^A d' and leave it running.

Later on, you want to check the screen session to see how things are
going, and you ssh back to the remote machine.  You start the detached
screen, with `screen -r' instead of just `screen' and it resumes the
detached session.