Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 2015 10:08:16 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        Chris H <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Buildworld failure on stable

On Aug 26 17:35, Chris H wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Aug 2015 18:38:46 +0100 Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk> wrote

>> >Interestingly it *always* manages to succesfully compile clang etc and
>> >it has no issues compiling things from ports. It fails compiling
>> >something from lib like openssl or kerberos.  Doesn't buildworld build
>> >a bootstrap version of clang and then use that version to compile the
>> >rest of it? I might try downgrading my sources back to the version
>> >that I last succesfully compiled just to prove it one way or the other
>> >to myself.
>> >

>> So, been doing some testing. It looks like a -j4 problem with the latest
>> sources. If I buildworld with -j1 then it compiles with no issues at
>> all. If I compile r286908 with -j4 then it compiles with no issues at
>> all. If I try and compile r287155 with -j4 then I get the bus errors. So
>> I'm not convinced at all that it's hardware related at the moment.
>Not saying it is. But it still could be a region of CPU cache that
>never got exercised, or in the right (same) manner.
>Maybe use a CPU/RAM test program, just to be sure?
>
>--Chris

Could be something wrong with it for sure. However I installed the
world/kernel that I had succesfully compiled with the -j1, then I
repeatedly tried more buildworlds with -j4 again. Can't get it to go
wrong at all now. It has 4 cores which is why I'm using j4 by the way.
I've run buildworld since with -j4 three different times, every one has
worked. So either there is a hardware issue which for some reason I'm no
longer hitting, or there may have been something weird with having
r286908 installed whilst trying to compile r287155 with j4. I really
have no idea at this point.

It's working now though, so I think I'll just see what happens over the
next couple of months when I try further buildworlds. If it ever happens
again then I'll do further tests, or just buy new hardware!

Thanks for all your advice though guys.

--
Matt