Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 18:42:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd & utmp

On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Alan Batie wrote:

> I've installed the latest getty w/ ppp detection, and it's working great.
> I added some minor hacks to pppd as a result, in order to get utmp updated
> as well (instead of just wtmp, as it currently does).  It's enabled with
> the "utmp" option.  I'd like to add something that identifies them as
> being ppp users, but I'm not quite sure what the "correct" approach should
> be.  Thoughts:
>
> 1.  put "ppp" in the hostname field

This is already done, if you use the pppd in -current.  Uses a host of
":PPP".

> 2.  put the hostname associated with the assigned IP address in the hostname
>     field (this feels "most" correct, but is more work)

Could be useful for debugging, when a customer rings up to say nothing works.

> Likewise, pppd just shows up in ps as being "root" and "pppd"; you have to
> look at the tty then run w to see who it is.  I'm thinking of having pppd
> modify it's arguments to show the user as argv[1], but I'm not sure how to
> do that safely.  Do you just change the argv[1] pointer value?  I suppose
> I could go look at sendmail or something else that does it...

This would be really neat.  Please do as Mike Smith suggests and read
setproctitle(3), and then implement it.  Uname and IP address would be
good, and that solves whether to put the IP address into utmp.  I do suggest
you start by pulling -current sources and comparing them with your own.

regards,

Danny