Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:18:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jher@io.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/6858: inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.

>Number:         6858
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        3.0-980518-SNAP
>Environment:
FreeBSD solomon.io.com 3.0-980518-SNAP FreeBSD 3.0-980518-SNAP #0: Tue Jun  2 19:22:49 CDT 1998     jher@solomon.io.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/SOLOMON  i386

I boot the machine, run my innd server o it and after its 12am expire
run, the machine starts screwing up.  The expire run is very memory
intensive and usually eats about 200megs of ram.  As soon as it starts,
sshd can no longer malloc correctly and tries to malloc 1+gig of memory
whenever I ssh into the machine.  I therefore resort to telnetting in and
get the message:
inetd in realloc(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense.
but it lets me login.  From that point forward, the cronjobs cease to
run correctly.  Basically they startup and exit immediately.  If I send
a HUP to sshd's pid, it returns to normal and I can ssh in.  Of course,
since cron no longer functions correctly, news is failing to get expired
etc.  If I reboot, it usually corrects the problem until the cronjob
for news runs at midnight.
I'm on a P-II 266Mhz, with 256M SDram, 2940UW scsi (2 controllers), SMC
10/100 Etherpower, and an LX-6 Motherboard.

I'm running an SMP version of the same release on a Dual PPro 200Mhz
machine with DPT and 2904UW, and SMC 10/100 without having the same
problem.  The kernel has esentially the same compile options.  This
machine is also running innd and its nightly news.daily (expire) run
has a larger amount of data to work with and so far its been flawless.
Oh and the Mainboard is an ASUS board.
>How-To-Repeat:
wait for the news.daily run to happen from the 12am crontab
>Fix:
reboot