Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 08:00:48 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP bug

> > > just to understand, what is the problem related to ?
> >
> > The problem is related to the fact that I can't contact certain WWW
> > machines from the 'internal ethernet' boxes.
> >
> > > TCP as you say in the Subject, or IP (routing), or firewall ?
> > > Have you tried what happens by opening the firewall ?
> >
> > Yep, no difference.  It appears my router box is not passing packets
> > through to the boxes on the internal ethernet.  I stuck the firewall on
> > that box just to see if the TCP stack was getting the incoming packets,
>
> does a tcpdump on _both_ interfaces show anything interesting -- like
> pkts coming in and then not going out ? Do they have something strange
> (like some odd length, invalid checksums, IP options, etc.) which makes
> the router act strangely ? Is there a correct return route
> on the router box ?

The original email had a tcpdump output on both interfaces.  I can
resend it if you like. I'm no tcpdump guru, so I was hoping someone else
could help out.

As far as routes, everything looks right, and almost all of my data gets
through.  It's just certain WWW sites that don't work.

> > > btw: do the offending packets carry IP/TCP options by chance ? Just to
> > > have an idea what to look at in the code.
> >
> > I have turned off TTCP if that's what you mean.  The box in question
>
> no, i meant if the remote machine you are trying to contact is sending
> you "unsolicited" IP options which make the router fail. Or, e.g.,
> they send pkts larger than the MTU of the receiver/outgoing interface
> and with a "DF" flag set so the router has to dump the packet.

?????  The only 'router' in question is my FreeBSD box.  Again, I don't
know how to read the output of tcpdump.

Nate