Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:34:07 -0400
From:      Rob Furphy <rcf@ox.com>
To:        David Holland <dholland@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question on JDK1.2.2 FAQ #5 {JBuilder and JPDA}

David Holland wrote:

> In trying to get JPDA to work with JBuilder using the
> native JDK1.2.2 (P9), I copied the jpda.jar and dt.jar files from the
> linux_jdk1.2.2/lib directory into the
> jdk1.2.2/lib directory.

This *fix* is for making the "JBuilder App" work correctly.  The errors
it corrects are java classes which jbuilder needs.  This *fix* does not
fix what you appear to have.

Without the jpda.jar file in the correct place JBuilder should still
"come up"
but the menus (and other things) don't function properly.

I just re-checked this on my machine and JBuilder works fine.
FreeBSD RELEASE 3.5 vanilla install with linux emul.

> But when I tried to use it, i.e.
>
> java -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
>    -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9123,suspend=n
>      HelloWorld
>
> I get:
>
> Can't load "libjdwp.so", because Shared object "libjdwp.so" not found
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.

I think your 'problem' may be the specific invocation of "libjdwp.so".
Searching my java release directories I find this library in the Linux
port but not in my "Patchset 9 Native" JDK.  What is the runjdwp for?

<snip>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> David Holland

Rob F.