Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:58:46 -0800
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
To:        Anders Nordby <anders@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Apple bluetooth keyboard/mouse, pairing problems

Anders,

>>> Does ng_ubt support Bluetooth 1.2 devices? Are USB dongles with
>>> Bluetooth 1.2 backwards compatible? I'm considering to buy a
>>> D-Link DBT-120 (1.1) or DBT-122 (1.2) device.
>>
>> in general, yes, bluetooth v1.2 devices will work with ng_ubt(4)
>> and bluetooth stack. i have v1.2 device and it works just fine.
>> keep in mind that ng_hci.h does not yet have definitions for
>> bluetooth v1.2 hci commands and events. it does not mean that you
>> can not send these commands to the device.
>
> I bought a D-Link DBT-122, and it works fine with no modifications in
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE:

[...]

looks fine to me.

> I got it working with an Apple Bluetooth mouse. Thanks to Eric Anderson
> for posting a recipe. I also looked in the Bluetooth section of the
> handbook.

ok

> However, when trying to pair with an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, I get
> permission denied:

ok. first of all, bluetooth keyboards are NOT yet supported. kbdmux(4)
needs to be fixed for that. can someone please help me with fixing it?

> 1) Turn keyboard on.
>
> 2) Run hccontrol to see if it is there. Luckily, it is:
>
> # hccontrol -n ubt0hci inquiry
> Inquiry result, num_responses=1
> Inquiry result #0
>         BD_ADDR: akeyb
>         Page Scan Rep. Mode: 0x1
>         Page Scan Period Mode: 00
>         Page Scan Mode: 00
>         Class: 00:25:40
>         Clock offset: 0x58b9
> Inquiry complete. Status: No error [00]

looks fine

> Is this what starts the pairing process from the host/USB adapter? If
> not, how do I do it? I'm supposed to enter the pin code (+enter) in the
> keyboard here, but it has no pairing button it seems.

no, inquiry *does not* start pair process. you have to make connection
to the device otherwise it wont request authentication. you have to
follow pairing instructions for your keyboard.

> 3) Try to query it (yes, I have added it to /etc/bluetooth/hosts and
> /etc/bluetooth/hcsecd.conf):

ok, is hcsecd(8) running? it has to be running in order to answer pin
code/link key requests.

> # bthidcontrol -a akeyb query
> Could not perform SDP query on the device 00:0a:95:38:cf:bb. Permission
> denied (13)

can you please install hcidump from port and try to run it to see what
is going on.

> Now, I tried entering the PIN code before and after running hccontrol
> and bthidcontrol, with a given pin code, with pin codes "0000"/"1234"
> and nopin (and set write_authentication_enable to 1). But bthidcontrol
> always gives me either "Permission denied (13)" or "Host is down (64)".

1) hcsecd(8) MUST be running at all times

2) hcsecd.conf has to have an entry for the device

3) follow pair instructions that came with the keyboard. it should pair.

> How can I get it paired? Does anyone have a Bluetooth keyboard working?

read above. but still its not going to work, because there is no working
support for multiple keyboards yet (i.e. kbdmux(4))

thanks,
max