Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 18:34:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <kuehl@lgk.de>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Extended / Replaced Utilities

On 05-Aug-98 Konrad Heuer wrote:

> I'm a UNIX user and system administrator for a couple of years now. Some
> years ago I tried Linux and FreeBSD and decided for the latter one. One
> reason was that FreeBSD behaves much more than a traditional UNIX system
> than Linux. I don't need a colorized ls command, I don't need a corrupted
> terminal after a remote login from a DEC or SUN workstation to a Linux box
> (ok - recent versions behave less worse) and so on.

That agrees fairly well with experience and preferences. FreeBSD appeared
to be the much better tool for accomplishing useful work.

> Now I observe that for example 2.2.6-RELEASE comes with a drastically (to
> my mind) changed ftp client. I read in the release notes the 2.2.7-RELEASE
> has an ls command with many new options. Excuse me - but now I seem to be
> irritated. Where does FreeBSD go? Will it leave the traditional BSD line
> which seems to be strong argument for using FreeBSD?

The move is at recognisable, and could be considered distinctly underlined
against the background of the recent personel changes.

> I'm interested in other people's opinion here. May be advocacy is not the
> best newsgroup to discuss it but there seems to be some relationship.

It is probably the best list. The FreeBSD community should thoroughly
cogitate whether it was a good idea to get technically closer to Linux
while remaining a BSD in terms of PR.

        Lars

Lars Gerhard Kuehl      Phone: +49 40 54768010  Mobile: +49 171 9307085
                        Fax  : +49 40 54768012  Email : kuehl@lgk.de
#ifdef is your friend, and everyone's else enemy
#endif /* is your friend */