Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:18:48 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Razor <bg1tpt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The wireless card can not use after I upgrade to 8-CURRENT. IBM THINKPAD T23

Razor wrote:
> The card works well in FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. After I upgrade to
> 8-CURRENT. The wlan0 can not associate with my AP. Here is my rc.conf
> and wpa_supplicant.conf
>
> rc.conf:
>
> wlans_wi0=wlan0
> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
>
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf:
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> network={
>     ssid="FreeBSD"
>     scan_ssid=1
>     key_mgmt=NONE
>     wep_tx_keyidx=0
>     wep_key0=ABCDEF01234567890ABCDEF012
> }
>
> ifconfig wi0:
> wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
>         ether 00:20:e0:8a:2d:88
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11b
>         status: associated
>
> ifconfig wlan0:
> wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
>         ether 00:20:e0:8a:2d:88
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid "" channel 10 (2457 Mhz 11b)
>         country US authmode WPA1+WPA2/802.11i privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF
>         txpower 0 bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 roaming MANUAL bintval 0

Intersil prism cards should work fine though they may require a firmware
upgrade to ~rev 1.7.  Unfortunately you've not shown the boot messages
for the wi device so there's no way to tell what card you have.

Other devices that used to be supported by wi were broken in the vap
conversion.  Someone else will need to step up and fix the driver to
support them; I have no time right now.

    Sam