Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 03:43:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      BOUWSMA Beery <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a note about the tuning(7) FreeBSD man page

[replies sent directly to me may timeout and bounce, since I'm not
 online as often as I should be, but I'll check the list archives]

(sending this to -doc, where I probably should have sent it earlier)

> :Hi Matt,
> :I just ran across the man page for `tuning' -- great things that
> :are hidden away and packed full of useful information.  Thanks!
> :
> :But I noticed when reading, having just rebuilt every filesystem
> :on a multi-OS disk, that tuning(7) makes mention of tuning
> :cylinders/group, but then gives absolutely no details of how or
> :why, or explaining why the present defaults are to create as many
> :as possible for the filesystem based on the other parameters.
> :
> :I'm hoping this is just an oversight...
> :
> :thanks
> :barry bouwsma
>
>     Well, I wrote the whole thing all in one sitting, I'm sure there
>     are a number of things missing.

Ah, I should have guessed.  I saw some other committer in the tag,
so I suspect it's been updated as needed, and I should have sent
the original message to the docs mailing list, like I've done now.

Anyway, that's the only thing I noticed was obviously missing.

>  In the case of the cylinders/group
>     newfs has been changed since I first wrote the page and I believe
>     someone may have tried updating the manual page to cover it and just
>     not made it clear.  I'm not even clear myself at the moment... I think
>     in -current newfs() already maximizes cylinders/group (this being new
>     in newfs), but I'm not sure about -stable.

As of 4.5, this is also the case, unless the user specifies otherwise.
So, The Right Thing[tm] is done for the user.  Perhaps the man page
can be updated to reflect this.

In that case, then all that's missing would be an explanation of how
changing this affects performance, but if the only thing that changing
this from the present default of maximizing would do would be negative,
then one might dispense with the explanation.  (Unless one wants to
lobby for people to re-newfs existing filesystems, of course)  Maybe
someone from the doc team could do this -- I certainly don't know the
details well enough to explain anything.

Thanks, Matt.

barry bouwsma