Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 03:14:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha questions..

> Relax, it was just a question...

Oh, don't take that the wrong way. I'm not upset by the question;
it was just so vague I honestly didn't understand what you were
trying to get at.

> I just wanted to know if it was complete
> (ie: fully functional with no missing parts, eg, 'ar' support).

Ar support works, yes; we use it for static libraries.

As I said, we have systems that run on ELF and nothing else, which
to me means that pretty much all support is there. If you have any
particular queries, I'm happy to answer them.

> Does it
> use elf-style shared libray versioning (ie: symlinks and internal names)
> or does it use a runtime ld.so.cache major.minor[.micro] a.out style
> system?

It uses the elf-style system. However, there was some discussion
about how to deal with the semantics of using different versions
of the library, since the a.out system has different semantics from
the regular ELF system in terms of what it does if the desired
version is not available. Getting ELF to emulate this was looking
like a real PITA. I don't remember off-hand all the details of the
problem or the eventual result, however.

cjs

Curt Sampson    cjs@portal.ca		Info at http://www.portal.ca/
Internet Portal Services, Inc.		`And malt does more than Milton can
Vancouver, BC   (604) 257-9400		 To justify God's ways to man.'