Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 01:52:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole <nicole@unixgirl.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        ppX <c4@worldclass.jolt.nu>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem with fxp0 card and slowing/dying transmits - now I'm really confused

On 05-Jan-01 David Greenman wrote:
>> Ahha.. Well.. Nice new word for the day "wonky"  I like that :)
>>
>> Yea.. as I change things on the server, I can see the switch respond to my
>>settings when it it is autoconfig mode. (worried abt that too :> )
>>
>> So then it *Could* be the motherboard.. I mean whats left, right?
>
>    It's very unlikely, but stranger things have happend. One other thing -
> on some switches the new settings don't take effect until they are properly
> written out to NVRAM. You might want to verify that the new switch settings
> are really getting set.
>
> -DG

 Now I am really confused.
 After more testing I have found that sending a file via scp or cat'ing through
sendmail works like a champ if I go to a machine outside of the network. But
seems to be a problem for the same machine when trying to go to a server
connected to the same switch.
 OK.. maybe its the switch you say. Me too. Until I just came from putting the
machines on a different switch and still having the same problem. It's also a
completly different make and manufacture of switch.

 Also one other weird question. What is the real difference between a cable
with 2 pairs and a cable with 4 pairs were 10/100 ethernet is concerned. On
another server that was using a SMC/DEC card I found it would go nuts when it
had a 2 pair cable, but worked Ok with a 4 pair cable. From everything I can
tell, 10/100 ethernet should not care abt the extra 2 pairs.

 Nicole
   off to a padded room.

 nicole@unixgirl.com         |\ __ /|   (`\   http://www.unixgirl.com/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org | o_o  |__  ) )  http://www.dangermouse.org/