Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:40:37 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   USB drive - crypto filesystem options?

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

Hey folks.

I have just become the proud owner of a fancy new 1GB USB 2.0 drive;
one of those cool new gadgets no bigger than my pinky that holds 1
Billion bytes of data.  Naturally, I can't wait to play with it :)

Well, I know that USB 2.0 support is kinda sketchy, and I've already
decided it's not stable on the ICH5 USB controller that comes with the
Dell Dimension 8300.  Regardless, I have confirmed that I can get the
little gadget mounted (comes pre-formatted with an MSDos filesystem)
without the slightest hangup.  Yay me.

So, now what I want to do is see what kind of filesystem options I
have with this little gem.  Ideally, I would like to get an encrypted
filesystem that requires a password to mount it.  Of course, I've
checked the ports, but I don't know much about this area, and I don't
know if I'm even using the right search keys.  A little googling
revealed a great article at "The FreeBSD Diary"
(http://www.freebsddiary.org/encrypted-fs.php) that discusses cfs.
Sounds cool, move to the top of the list - ok, it's the only thing on
the list right now.

That's where you folks come in.  Has anyone had any experience
actually using a crypto filesystem on a USB drive?  What utilities are
available for this?  And more importantly, what have your experiences
been?

TIA
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules:
  The first ninety percent of the task takes ninety percent of
  the time, and the last ten percent takes the other ninety percent.

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0--