Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 06:41:49 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nadav@barcode.co.il, gclarkii@main.gbdata.com
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/ftpio.h is not C++ safe

At 4:10 +0100 6/5/97, Bruce Evans wrote:
>>What is our reason for having old code around?  Is there a GOOD reason
>>why we are trying to support a non-ansi compiler?  What is the chance that
>>FreeBSD will ever need to do this in real life?
>
>To support users who have old code.  FreeBSD doesn't support ANSI compilers,
>only gcc (try compiling with lcc) :-).

I have *shitloads* of old code around (mostly in clients' systems) which
breaks in subtle and mysterious ways when naively ported to ANSI C. It
often boils down to ANSI having broken the portability of comparing chars
with constants [don't get me started, it's a couple of years since I had a
good rant about that one :-)].

-traditional is a life-saver.

--
Bob Bishop              (0118) 977 4017  international code +44 118
rb@gid.co.uk        fax (0118) 989 4254  between 0800 and 1800 UK