Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:50:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The cbus driver for pc98

In message: <20030209.224741.71137260.nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org>
            Takahashi Yoshihiro <nyan@jp.FreeBSD.org> writes:
: I have made the cbus driver for pc98 based on i386 isa driver.  This
: completely removes that PC98 depends on isa driver and also corrects
: directory layouts (pc98/i386 -> pc98/pc98 and pc98/pc98 -> pc98/cbus).
:
: The full patch can get from
: http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus.diff.gz
:
: Soeren, please review the ata part.
: http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus-ata.diff.gz
:
: Warner, please review the oldcard part.
: http://home.jp.FreeBSD.org/~nyan/patches/cbus-pccard.diff.gz
:
:
: If it has no problem, I'll commit after required repository copy.

Please excuse my tardiness in replying to this review request.  I've
just finished a large release at work that was consuming much of my
time.

I do not like this.  It seems to take too many files and just do a
simple s/isa/cbus/g on them.  However, I'm not sure that we want to do
that with so many files when the majority of them are very close to
being able to just add a second module line.  I think it would be
better to implement cbus as an 'isa bus subclass'.  cbus is an
isa-like bus in many respects from a programming point of view.
Copying everything is not the right way to approach this problem,
imho.  It would be better if the cbus bus implemented the isa routines
and accepted that 'isa' is a bit if a misnomer.

Warner