Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:09:14 +0100
From:      Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to tell whether ECC (memory) is enabled?

Dear,

is there any way to inspect a running STABLE machine for the presence
or state of ECC memory before an MCA "error detected" message actually
occurs?
In comparison when I quickly boot the machine in question with a Linux
live CD, I find (among other EDAC messages) the following output in
its dmesg:

EDAC amd64: ECC is enabled by BIOS, Proceeding with EDAC module initialization

During POST, die BIOS also tells me that ECC memory is installed, so
far so good. But I was a little surprised that the FreeBSD kernel
tells me absolutely nothing about it. Or do I have to tune loader.conf
variables?

TIA,
Riggs