Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:53:08 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Just a little persuasuion, that's all I need (convert me to FBSD)

Hello,
Thanks for all the replies, both personal and on the list.
I wrote also to the feedback address of the Linux distribution
explaining why I would no longer use them, I had some interesting
personal replies (as I cc'ed it to the general mailing list) which
showed I am not alone in my fed-upedness with commercial
Linux distributions. Why am I being coy ? I am talking about
SuSE inc, my brief encounter with Redhat in the past was
a nightmare from Day 1, just to clear that up!

I am currently re-thinking how to set this network of mine up,
and FreeBSD is a central part of the plan. I am reasonably
au-fait with networking etc, and in fact have been on this
list for a long time and have a largish personal archive
of things I have found interesting.

I have enough machine capacity to make the system I need,
and will still have Linux on part of it, but probably the
Linux closest to the BSD/Unix spirit (slackware).

I was looking yesterday at the contents of my personal
"bin&sbin" directory and so much of it is front-end
scripts etc, to things that I need to be able to do,
written fairly portably so I can re-use them I think !

As you may realise I do have a reasonable technical
background (20+ years of Unix, as systems programmer
and System Manager) so it should be possible. I am prepared
to get my hands dirty so to speak, I know on the surface
FreeBSD has less polish and glitz, but I feel there
is some solid metal underneath.

But one of the points of the small network I want
is actually to get some things going that have nothing
to do with computers, many of my friends are writers
or involved in other such pursuits and I want to create
some kind of outlet for that. In order to do this I
want to also pursue my other interests. I realised
with SuSE linux I was spending time (and money) in chasing
an ephemera.

I had terrible problems in the flat I live in
a while ago with blocked drains, I was spending huge
quantities of my time unblocking them until I found
out the cause. I realised the other day that I was
doing exactly the same thing with my O/S .. lol.

Not plugging holes, unblocking drains..there's a thought.

Anyway, have a good weekend !

--
Regards
Cliff