Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:22:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Karl L. Dunn" <kdunn@hiwaay.net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multia: syscons does not find PCI vga card

I got the newer SRM load you pointed out, loaded it, and it finds the PCI
video card!  As soon as the SRM displays on the TGA video, the PCI video
shows a blue screen with a cursor.  The PCI video sttays that way until
FreeBSD boots (the kernel is entered by the SRM boot command), at which
point the TGA video stays as is, and the kernel displays messages and
eventually a login prompt, with a working virtual terminal syscons.

The kernel with the fix Terry Lambert suggested hangs with no messages
displayed, and both monitors go blank.  The new SRM boots the GENERIC
4.6.2 kernel as above.

Thanks for all your help.  In summary, 4.6.2 alpha will run a syscons on
at least a S3 Trio64 PCI card, if you get the new SRM you suggested.

--
Karl Dunn
k.l.dunn@ieee.org