Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 13:02:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, stesin@gu.net, ulf@Lamb.net, jhs@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org, serious@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

> Yea, so, I put a third box called a dummy router/NAT between them
> and make them talk.  Novell Netware servers can be fooled into
> operating this way (thats how I do server to server upgrades of
> Netware, just put a router between them and spoof a few things,
> works great, and no inplace upgrade risk, and no need for a second
> license.)

All software soloutions *can* be spoofed.  The Flex/LM spoof is trivial,
and can be easily using a shell script with a sleep delay and a
background job.

Other than forcing the PC to be redesigned (in which case, I say
getting rid of ISA entirely is a more worthy goal than installing
serial numbers, since I can trap the memory references and lie about
those too), there's really no fix.

Yet Linux, SCO, Solaris, and UnixWare all have license manager
software, and you guys insisting on ethnic purity inre: the
network interface is succeeding in doing nothing other than making
FreeBSD a less attractive commercial platform.

Unless that's your ultimate goal, it seems pretty stupid to put
forth arguments against instead of arguments for.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.