Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 22:02:32 -0500
From:      Dave Cottingham <dc@clark.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dc@clark.net
Subject:   Can't get boot manager to work

I have a PC at home with FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 on a SCSI disk.  Recently my
MSDOS-oriented roommate expressed an interest in using this machine
for her schoolwork, so I pulled an old 80 Meg IDE disk off the shelf,
plugged it in, and DOSified it.  Then I started trying to get a boot
manager to work.  I've tried a variety of booteasy's and os-bs's with
no luck.  Most recently os-bs 2.0 beta 8, pulled from ftp.freebsd.org.
It installs without a complaint, the installer sees both disks,
correctly identifies the SCSI disk as some kind of 386BSD variant, and
lets me put them on the menu.  When I boot, the colorful boot menu
comes up.  If I select DOS, it works fine; but if I select FreeBSD, it
prints a prompt asking me to select between the two with function
keys.  If I hit the key for FreeBSD, it prints the prompt again.  If I
hit the key for DOS, it boots DOS.

Does anybody have a clue where the problem is here?

Please cc reply to me, I don't get this mailing list.

Thanks,
Dave Cottingham