Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 21:45:06 +0800
From:      adrian@freebsd.org
To:        Dom Mitchell <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nice little kernel task for somebody

Dom Mitchell writes:
>On 23 April 1999, Poul-Henning Kamp proclaimed:
>> No, I just want a way to figure out what login.conf have done to
>> various processes...
>
>What we really need are some tools similiar to solaris' /usr/proc/bin
>stuff.  http://www.sunworld.com/swol-04-1999/swol-04-supersys.html
>Sadly, the ability to do this lies well outside my meagre coding
>knowledge.

A few of those utilities are avaliable right now (hell, I even wrote
a pstree command to get a process tree listing a few months ago when
I started messing about with procfs, but its rather crude atm), along
with pcred, pflags, pgrep, plimit with what I've just written,
and with a little magic, pmap, ptime, and the rest of them.

But we'd need to extend our procfs just a little bit to work real
magic (like say, proc-ps / proc-top), and I'm not prepared to
start messing around with it in a big way, but if people are interested
in a bunch of utilities like the sun /usr/proc/bin/ utilities,
I might go ahead and write some.

Adrian