Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:32:31 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Promise controllers

Attila Nagy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > This brings me to my final option: has anybody managed to mix IDE
> > controller cards successfully?  What cards are good for this?
> Quoting Soren Schmidt:
>
> Q: "Is it possible to use multiple Promise ATA-100 cards in one machine?
>    If yes, how much?"
> A: "Yes, you should be able to use as many as you have PCI slots for.
>    I have made systems with 3 promises with no problems."
>
> And: "Well, I would buy HPT370 based cards, like the Abit hotrod100, the
> HPT370 chip is a far better design than the promise, and gives better
> performance."
>
> So I think it is possible to use more than two Promise ATA cards, but the
> HPT 37x is the preferred way, by the ATA-driver author.

Quick question to anybody who has these cards:  Can HPT370 based cards
run
as JBOD (with all of the RAID features turned off) controllers?  I'm not
looking for the card to do any sort of RAID itself since that's what I'm
using vinum for.  Mostly, I'm trying to avoid having two disks on the
same lun share an IDE controller (IE as master and slave).

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer