Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:29:53 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, CVS-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-lib@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/csu/i386 crt0.c

Peter wrote:

> >> I think this will solve the problem...
> >
> >I think it will, too.  But, why do you want to solve the problem by
> >adding 4 lines to the Makefile, when you could solve it instead by
> >removing 2 lines??
>
> The only thing I was wondering about was if anything in "lib" had
> c++t0.o linked into it...  It doesn't look like it, but it nearly was
> a while ago...

Oh!  Very good point!  I hadn't thought of that.

Probably, nothing in "lib" has c++rt0.o linked into it at the moment.
But, you're right, eventually *every* shared library will have it
linked in.  (I figured out why that caused problems before, when
I eliminated CPLUSPLUSLIB.  It's easy to fix.  But I haven't figured
out a way to solve the associated bootstrapping problems.  Sigh...)

Also, if we implement Chris P's proposed solution for thread_init (using
a C++ static constructor), then we will have to link c++rt0.o into libc,
at least.

Anyway, now I agree that we should use your solution in the top-level
Makefile, and not mine.

Thanks!

-- John