Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:44:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Shared libs on alpha

For anyone experimenting with FreeBSD/alpha at the moment, please avoid
trying to use shared libraries for the next couple of days and keep your
systems static.  The nice folks at Cygnus have managed to change the
shared object format in such a way that shared executables and libs linked
eith binutils-2.8.1 are totally incompatible with those linked with
binutils-2.9.1.

Since we haven't released anything yet, I will only be supporting the
2.9.1 format in rtld but I have some more testing to do before I can
commit that so stay static for the next few days.

For any of the NetBSD folks reading this list, be warned that you will get
grief from binutils if/when you upgrade your toolchain to binutils-2.9.1.
To be specific, the PLT format has changed and you will probably need two
versions of _rtld_bind_start for the new and old formats :-(.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039