Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 00:59:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to map bad sectors on IDE?

On 1 Feb 2003, at 11:19 [=GMT-0500], Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> John Mills <jmills@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
> > out of circulation. 'apropos badblocks' and 'man fsck' failed to suggest
> > such a function in fBSD, but it might be worth more looking.
>
> badsect(8)

I tried that with the bad sector numbers (with both ranges
mentioned in the messages, since I wasn't sure which are the
true ones):

nud# badsect BAD 99107103 83247423
block 99107103 out of range of file system
block 83247423 out of range of file system
Don't forget to run ``fsck /dev/ad0h''
nud# badsect BAD 27000944 19071104
block 27000944 in non-data area: cannot attach
block 19071104 in non-data area: cannot attach
Don't forget to run ``fsck /dev/ad0h''

After I ran fsck it refused to mark the partition as clean. That was
not nice, since /usr was on it.

Since there was quite a bit of space on the /home partition, I decided
to move the content of the affected partition to that. So /usr moved
to /home/usr (minus 99% of src and obj and ports).

So I thought a new fs ('reformat') and everything is OK. I could even
move /usr back then.

Alas, bad luck again, because:

> > Does fBSD's file system creation make sure that all blocks of a newly
> > created file system are in fact usable? I would be surprised if there were
> > no cross checks in the formatting/partitioning/fs-creation path. If the
> > bad blocks weren't linked in the new filesystem, they would have become
> > invisible for practical purposes.
>
> newfs doesn't make any such attempts any more, *because* the hardware
> has already done it for them.

You are very right. I tried it. newfs didn't tell me anything about
bad sectors, so I guess it either missed them on purpose or
accidently. Also I noticed it did not take much time to do 17GB. So a
media check sort of seemed unlikely. It did freeze my console for a
few seconds, while the only serious other thing it was doing was make
buildworld.

--
[16] Do it today.
http://logoff.org/