Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 22:20:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lisa Cozzens <lcozzens@gateway.us.sidwell.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X problem...

Hello, I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 (will upgrade to 2.1.0 as soon as my
subscription disc arrives) on a Pentium 120.  I'm having a problem with X
When it works, it's great.  Unfortunately, I'm afraid to edit config
files, since it seems like whenever I do, X won't start again.  I've run
xf86config multiple times and reverted to a "safe"  /etc/XF86Config to no
avail, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware config problem.  What happens
is if I type startx, X seems to load OK and I even see the default screen
with the little "x" mouse cursor, but before olvwm kicks in, X exits with
no error message and returns me to the prompt.  It's got all the Ramdac
and mode stuff on the screen and just a line saying "Waiting for X server
to shut down."  BTW, I'm running a Diamond Stealth Video 64 DRAM card with
2 MB of DRAM and in running xf86config, I selected the 37th card available
in the card database.  I'm running whatever version of XFree came with
2.0.5; I think it's 3.1.1.

Please let me know if upgrading to 2.1.0 will fix this problem, as I can
live with it for a few more weeks.

Thanks -- and BTW, I had three other questions, but a search of the
FreeBSD mailing list archive revealed the answers to all three!  Great
job, whoever maintains that!

Lisa

    ____  Lisa Cozzens (lcozzens@sidwell.edu)
   (o |   WWW Home Page: http://www.sidwell.edu/~lcozzens/
    \     "We are what we consistently do; excellence, therefore,
 =========  is not an act but a habit."   --Aristotle