Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 14:10:41 +0200
From:      "Heiko Wundram (Beenic)" <wundram@beenic.net>
To:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD violates RFC2870 [was: Re: Problems with named default configuration in 6-STABLE]

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 13:45:04 Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 12:47:50PM +0200, Volker wrote:
> > As I think having a default to hint root zone is better, I'll file a
> > PR about that.
>
> Which leads me to ask:
>
> Why hasn't anyone recommended using stub zones for this?  It seems the
> goal is to cache NS records from the rootservers, and stub zones don't
> utilise AXFR/IXFR.

Basically, this is not similar. If you are a slave for the root zone, you n=
ot=20
only cache the root nameservers itself, but also the nameservers used for t=
he=20
resolution of first-level subdomains. If you are a stub, you basically get=
=20
nothing besides a hint-zone; otherwise you'd have to configure a stub-zone=
=20
for every TLD that's out there (and configured in the roots) with the=20
respective info to actually achieve (permanent) caching of TLD-NS-records i=
n=20
the form of a zone-file.

=2D-=20
Heiko Wundram