Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:55:08 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Paul A. Hoadley" <paulh@logicsquad.net>
To:        <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppp(8) + ng_pppoe(4) doesn't detect dead connection.

C J Michaels said:

> The above mentioned -STABLE box is connected to the Internet via
> Verizon DSL PPPoE using ppp(8) + ng_pppoe(4) in -ddial mode.  Works
> great, no problems connecting via PPPoE and using the Internet.  For
> the most part the connection is quite stable, relatively speaking (it's
> been connected in excess of 40 days at a time).
>
> Anyway, there are times when the PPPoE connection appears to drop, but
> the client isn't notified.  When this happens Internet access is lost
> until someone manually issues a "close" command to ppp(8).

I noticed this problem under 4.3-R, though I haven't seen it since I
upgraded to 4.4-R.  It disappoints me to see that you've confirmed it still
exists. :)  While I have not diagnosed the problem, I can post to the list
a simple script that I use (written by Aaron Hill) that will kill and
restart ppp if two successive ping tests fail.  I have cron run the script
every two minutes, and it pings my next upstream hop.  Of course, ppp
freezing as described is not always the cause of a failed ping test, but
every time it does freeze, this script will solve the problem.

Let me know if you want me to post the (short) script.

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net
mailto:paul.hoadley@student.adelaide.edu.au