Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 07:48:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dmlb@dmlb.org (Duncan Barclay)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, kris@FreeBSD.ORG (Kris Kennaway), brad.knowles@skynet.be (Brad Knowles), keichii@peorth.iteration.net, tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata

> >> Yes, I saw that.  I was more thinking about who you would be
> >> pissing off if you turned one of these things on in the U.S.
> >> near a military base.
> >
> > Hmm.  Yes, I wonder what would happen.  I wonder how long it would
> > take them to work out what was going on.
>
> A GSM phone will not transmit anything until it find a beacon being
> transmitted by a basestation. There is a scanning procedure that
> looks at all possible frequencies in use by all GSM networks (in a
> given band), followed by a timing acquistion, followed by reading
> of various informational packets transmitted in the beacon. The
> whole procedure is documented in the GSM 05.08 and 05.10 standards.
>
> The US military would not know anyone was using a phone because the phone
> would just not do anything apart from saying "no network".

When I was in about third grade, I had a ham radio receiver (I
collected broken electronics and other things, which I would then
fix or scavenge for parts; I built my first robot in fifth grade).

One interesting effect that I quickly latched onto to get PBS
programming on the television instead of "The Brady Bunch"
was that you can use one receiver to selectively jam specific
frequencies from being usable by another (if you tell my
sisters, I will, of course, deny this).  All it takes is a
strong receiver (actually, when they make you turn off your
electronics in a plane, it's to keep them from interfering
with the on-board ILS receivers, not just so people will actually
use the GTE "AirPhone").

The point is, if the British can detect unlicensed televisions,
I think the U.S. Military can find a cell phone that looks
like a scanner trying to listen to their frequencies.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.