Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 20:37:29 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3C589C PCMCIA

Mike stated:
: On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
:
: > I have a few 589C cards as my "works with anything" card. They're fully
: > supported by every FreeBSD version I've tried them with.
:
: That's what I'd encountered with the 589D.
:
: Now, on a CTX laptop under 4.0-RELEASE, I've tried (so far)...
:
: Kernel with 'device ep'
: Kernel with 'device ep0'
: Kernel with 'device ep0 at isa? port? irq? iomen?'
:
: A kernel with 'device ep0 at isa? port 0x280 ieq 10 iomem 0xd8000' is
: building now.  Upon noticing the 589C is listed in
: /etc/pccard.conf.sample, I assumed 'device ep' would be sufficient, and
: all this info would be pulled from pccard.conf.sample by
: pccard.  Obviouslly I'm overlooking something major here.
:
: Do you have it working with pccard?  If so, did you modify the
: pccard.conf.sample file in any way and what kernel option are you
: using?

Mike-

[Mike- your reply-to email seems to be seriously hosed]

The 3C589D card should just work with only

device ep

in the kernel, provided that you don't have an irq conflict (my
suspicion since by braindead choice pcic uses this as a management
irq in GENERIC).  What does dmesg from your machine show?  What is
in your kernel config?  Are you using pccard.conf.sample or are
you using a custom one?  Make sure taht you remove any non-free
irq's from the irq line.  I usually recommend that people create a
custom version as /etc/pccard.conf and only add cards that you are
going to use and then set:

pccard_conf="/etc/pccard.conf"

in /etc/rc.conf.  Also, look to see that pccard_flags in /etc/rc.conf
is not being used to set -i 10 type flags ... this usually further con-
fuses things.

Do you have a /boot/kern.conf that is doing anything strange (I tend
to recommend using a custom kernel and remove this puppy)?  Another
trick is to put the pcic into polling mode, have the following as the
only pcic support in kernel:

device card
device pcic0 at isa?

Hope this helps,