Date:      Sun, 27 May 2007 13:23:52 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade Xorg 7.2.0 - mergebase.sh problems

--==========1C32B623A3E630E47315==========

--On May 27, 2007 12:10:54 PM +0200 Christopher Prance=20
<christopher.prance@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I was so close, nope not yet.  I finally got my server =
upgraded
> with no problem.  Well a few minor setbacks, but I got it done.  Of
> course it won't run on my Sony 19" monitor which I have yet to figure
> out, but will in due time, but my server is not of importance, because I
> don't run X on it, it is just a webserver for now. My Thinkpad is a
> different story, I am trying to move away from my Windows laptop and
> rely on only FreeBSD so I would really like to get X up and running
> again.  The file I'm attaching is a script of the mergebase.sh tool. It
> listed several files that exist in both /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 and it
> will not continue until I move or remove them. I don't know which ones
> to remove and which ones to just move. Not too mention I did it by hand
> on my server, because there was not that many.  So any help here would
> be appreciated.  Is there are way I could make a script to move all
> these files for me? Which I'm sure there is but my scripting skills are
> beginners at best. :(   Sorry for the long post, just had to get it out.
> Thanks again ahead of time!

mkdir /usr/local/oldX11
mv /usr/X11R6/* /usr/local/oldX11/

Then run mergebase.sh again.  If you ever need any of the files in=20
/usr/local/oldX11, they will still be there.  If, after running for a=20
while, you find that they are no longer needed (and you need the disc=20
space), rm -fr the directory.

The reason the script is written that way is because the authors have no=20
idea what you might have done in the way of altering files to fit your=20
install, and they are not going to arbitrarily overwrite them.  That's=20
your decision as owner of the machine.  Since you don't clearly understand =

that already, it's unlikely you have anything critical that needs to be=20
saved, but caution dictates that you put them somewhere, just in case.

After you've done that, if you still can't run X, go to=20
/usr/ports/x11/xorg/ and run make install clean.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/