Date:      Fri, 5 Jul 2002 01:37:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Richard Sharpe <rsharpe@ns.aus.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding readdir entries to the name cache ...

:
:Richard Sharpe wrote:
:> I am interested in hearing opinions on whether or not it is useful to
:> preload entries into the name cache that are obtained with
:> readdir/getdirentries/getdents.
:
:It depends.  In a past life at another company, we were able to get a
:30%+ performance improvement simply by doing this type of caching.
:The system where the cacheing was being done, though, faulted the
:inodes in asynchornously.
:...

    Hmm.   I will note that we already get most of these advantages
    from UFS_DIRHASH and DIRPREF.

    In regards to going one step further and preloading the stat
    (inode) information... well, I am quite certain that you could
    get improvements with microbenchmarks but the problem is that
    it could blow the inode cache out of the water and really screw
    up performance in a heavily loaded general purpose system.  That's
    the problem you wind up with when you try to do speculative heavy-weight
    caching vs something like UFS_DIRHASH which does speculative light-weight
    caching.

    You also have to keep in mind that while doing potentially discontinuous
    read-aheads may help certain microbenchmarks, the extra seeks might
    cause a massive loss of performance for other cases.  I think the
    issue is applicable when attempting to issue read-aheads on the inodes
    underlying a directory scan.

    Remember that the disk drive itself will cache data with locality
    of reference, and this covers most of what we want to accomplish
    (with dirpref's improved layout) without having to get fancy.

						-Matt