Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:27:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Frank v Waveren <fvw@var.cx>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: securing the bootup sequence

Frank v Waveren <fvw@var.cx> types:
> I'm trying to secure the bootup sequence of a 4.3-release install.
> With a linux install (the box's previous install) this is quite easy,
> just set the bios to disallow boot from floppy, and give lilo the
> password= and 'restricted' options. With that configuration, there is
> no way to get access to an account on the box without physically
> opening it.
>
> However, trying to do this with FreeBSD proves a lot harder. Since I
> have two IDE drives, boot0 gives the F? list of drives, from which you
> can select the drive without the kernel on it, which can bring the
> boot process to a halt, which isn't nice, but isn't terrible either.

You don't *have* to use boot0. You could, for instance, use a standard
MBR to avoid that. Or any other boot loader. For instance, if you set
up grub as recommended, it boots /boot/loader, thus skipping both
boot0 and boot2.

> boot2 is a lot more annoying however. Even if it doesn't show it's
> prompt by default, pressing space when you get the first '-' will
> bring up the prompt. From here, you can load an arbitrary replacement
> for /boot/loader, either previously stored in a users homedir or from
> floppy. I can't find any way short of hacking the code of stopping
> boot2 from doing this.

Sounds like a good reason not to use boot2.

> The next part of the entertainment is /boot/loader. According to all
> the docu, having a set password=foo and check-password in
> /boot/loader.rc should get you a password prompt if you do anything
> apart from allowing the autoboot to continue. However, the password
> prompt doesn't appear for me, whatever I tried.. :-(.

It's not 'set password=foo', it's just 'password="foo"' in
/boot/loader.conf. It works fine for me. You could also try skipping
/boot/loader and just loading the kernel, but there the loader
apparently sets some stuff up that the running system needs.

> I have found one discussion from a while back on this topic on
> deja.com, however I didn't find any useful answers apart from "there's
> no such thing as security if the attacker has physical access", but
> I'm not trying to protect against physical access here, just console
> access.

Well, you still can't make it perfect - but there's no reason not to
make it as hard as possible.

	<mike