Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:08:12 +0000
From:      Vitalio D <v.dol_s@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: vt(4) iso-8859-1 latin accentuated characters do not show on console

>> Hello,
>>=20
>>I'm running 11.1-STABLE snapshot from November. By default my vty driver
>>is vt(4) as seen from sysctl kern.vty
>>kern.vty=3Dvt
>>=20
>>I've tried to configure french keyboard so to be able to see and type
>>accentuated characters, but could not succeed.
>>=20
>> I've amended ~/.login_conf with
>> me:\
>>   :charset=3DISO-8859-1:\
>>    :lang=3Dfr_FR.ISO-8859-1:

>	The vt terminal only supports UTF-8 and will display UTF-8 text
>correctly no matter what the locale settings are.
>
>	For typing you'll have to select an appropriate keyboard map that
>supports typing accented characters, with us.acc.kbd the compose mechanism
>works.

Hi Steve,
I've put the vt back (i.e put the original (empty in my case) /boot/loader.=
conf ) and set the keymap in rc.conf to fr.iso.kbd. Unfortunately this did =
not work. When trying to type french '=E9' nothing happens. When trying to =
read a french handbook such accent letters are just missing, for example fr=
ench pr=E9f=E9rez becomes prfrez. =