Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:34:50 +0000
From:      Trent Nelson <trent@limekiln.vcisp.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw keep-state problem

Hi,

    I'm using ipfw with dynamic rules, and I'm having problems.  Consi-
    der the following rules:

        ipfw add check-state
        ipfw add deny tcp from any to any established
        ipfw add pass ip from me to any

        ipfw add pass tcp from any to me ssh keep-state setup
        ipfw add pass tcp from any to me telnet keep-state setup

    Which is basically from the man page.  The problem is that after
    establishing a successful telnet/ssh session, I have about 90-120
    seconds time to have some traffic pass over the session before it
    dies.  Now when I say die, the connection is not dropped initially,
    it just appears that all traffic I sent is blocked.

    If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that the keep-state setup
    rules added dynamically are expiring too quickly, and thus, subseq-
    uent traffic is hitting the ``deny tcp from any to any established''
    rule.

    I'm using ipfw v1 and 4.7-STABLE as of a few days ago.  Any
    thoughts?

    Regards,

        Trent.