Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:06:46 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@sftw.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmware 2.0 raw disk workaround -- plain disks

I am _THIS_ close to getting my NT partition to boot again under vmware
2.0. Here's
what I've done.

Instead of using a raw disk setup, I have created a plain disk setup
using a FreeBSD raw
device as one of the files.

Here's how.

My IDE disk shows up to fdisk(8) as a 1027c/255h/63s disk. NT is starts
at sector 63 and
is 4192902 sectors long.

I created an 'nt4.hd' plain disk setup file containing this:

DRIVETYPE    ide
CYLINDERS    261
HEADS        255
SECTORS       63
ACCESS       "/home/vmware/mbr" 0 63
ACCESS       "/dev/rad0s1" 63 4192902

To create "mbr", you dd a 32256 file from /dev/zero (63 sectors),
use vnconfig to turn it into a device, then run fdisk on it with
-B and -i. Tell it the geometry in the plain disk file.

This setup boots and gets me into loading NT before it blue screens
because it wants my boot device to be IDE.

However....

When I hook this same disk up as the IDE primary master, it just hangs
and I never even see the NT boot menu come up. I suspect the guest
machine BIOS can't deal with the phony geometry I've set up, and
attempting
to change the geometry fails miserably.

But this concept may be an answer for those of you suddenly unable to
boot raw disk partitions under vmware.