Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:02:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelv@HeadCandy.com (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> >I'm personally now less interested in LFS than I am in soft updates,
> >and more in the direction of a general graph theory soloution to FS's
> >as a set of event nodes, and consistency guarantees as a set of event
> >handling ording rules with soft updates implemented as an inter-node
> >conflict resoloution schema.
>
> Terry, have you ever thought about going into teaching?  Someone who
> is so adept at coming up with so many weird theoretical solutions on
> the fly should definitely be working in a University environment
> somewhere...  ;-)

That wasn't wierd -- that was a logical extension of the soft updates
work, just bringing it up a level of scope.  I didn't really think
of it on the fly -- it took me a long time to come up with it.  It's
just that the opportunity to talk about it presented itself.  8-).

You want wierd: I want a logical numeric name space for files so that
the number is hooked to function and invariant under renaming.
This would let me rename /etc/passwd to a Spanish or Japanese name
(for instance) and still let /bin/login and everything that references
the file by number chain continue to function normally.  Then I
want name catalogs for every language.

Now *that's* wierd.  8-) 8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org